Water Safety Tips
Officer Brie – Buchanan City Police Department
Good Morning Buchanan! I have 10 tips for water safety this month! These tips should be applied when swimming in any body of water including pools, rivers, creeks, ponds, lakes, etc.
*Special Note: Please remember to respect Lake Michigan. As a lifeguard on Lake Michigan for 6 years, I watched people ignore both rip current signs/warnings and signs/warnings not to jump off piers and jetties. PLEASE read the signs and listen to the experts when they say not to jump or swim. This could save your life.*
- NEVER leave children unattended in or near water whether it be at the Lake, at home, or the community pool. Even if there is a lifeguard present!
- Learn how to swim, or teach your children how to swim. There are many pools in our area that offer swimming lessons for any age.
- Teach your children to stay away from drains. Children can get their hair, limbs, jewelry, or bathing suits stuck in drains.
- If you or your child do not know how to swim, please use a life jacket that fits. (A life jacket that fits you or your child is VERY important).
- Always jump into the water feet first and DO NOT jump off of piers, jetties, or rock formations. This is VERY dangerous and can lead to serious injury or death.
- Never swim alone!
- Stay within designated swimming areas.
- Install proper barriers, alarms, and covers around your pool or hot tub if you have children. Also keep in mind that children can find ways into or around these barriers, so always refer to number 1.
- Take a CPR/ AED course. The possibility of an emergency is always present, make sure you are prepared for it because it could save a life!
- Always make safety your number one priority!
Like us on Facebook for more tips of the week and don’t forget to share this information with your friends and family. You can contact us at (269) 695-5120 or Berrien County Dispatch at (866) 630-7679. Please dial 911 for emergencies.
Stay awesome, stay safe. 😎