Write-Up by Editor Rebecka Hoyt, Agenda by City Clerk Barbara A. Pitcher
Please note that only the City Commission Meeting Agenda is posted below. At the end of the agenda, click on the link to take you to more detailed minutes of the meeting. Also, the meeting minutes will not be published in each issue of The Buchanan Chronicle (probably once a month) due to rules that minutes are approved at the next City Commission meeting.
The Buchanan City Commission met for their Monday meeting July 26th 2021 at 7:00 pm, in person again, Buchanan City Hall Chamber, 302 N Redbud Trail, Buchanan, MI 49107.
MONDAY, July 26, 2021 – 7:00 PM
II. Pledge of Allegiance
III. Roll Call
- Additions to the Agenda
- Approval of the Agenda
VI. Public Comment
- Agenda Items Only (3-minute limit)
VII. Consent Agenda
(can be approved all in one motion, for general housekeeping items)
- Approve Meeting Minutes July 12, 2021, Regular Meeting; July 20, 2021, Special Meeting
- Approve Expenditures for July 26, 2021, in the amount of $487,371.00 Includes Summer Tax Distribution checks in the amount of $387,751.67 (Lake Michigan College $19,938.35, Berrien County Treasurer $94,752.73, Berrien Resa $20,837.62, Dial-A-Ride $8,733.54, Buchanan Schools $76,023.74 and City of Buchanan $167,465.69). Other payment of note: Custom Computer Company for $26,899.00.
- Accept Staff Activity Reports – Period Ending July 7, 2021
- Accept Staff Activity Report – Period Ending July 21, 2021
VIII. Scheduled Matters from the Floor (if any)
IX. Reports by: Departments, Committees, Boards
- Community Development Department Report
- Social District Update – Community Development Director Rich Murphy will provide an update related to the City’s pending Social District, including recent verification from the Michigan State Liquor Control Commission that the City can reimburse applications for their application fees.
- Developer’s Toolkit Update – Director Murphy will provide an update regarding the progress of his work to finalize the underlying paperwork necessary to implement the City’s plans for new “Developer’s Toolkit” programs, such as façade grants, etc.
- Planning Commission Report Director Murphy will report on the Planning Commission’s recent approval of the Special Use Permit for Zen Leaf, as well as provide a progress report that this issue will be placed on a future agenda after we receive the updated marihuana permit application from Zen’s attorney. Consequently, no action is required from the City Commission at this point.
- Landfill Board Report Consider Appointment of City Manager Heather Grace to the Southeast Berrien County Landfill Board – Landfill Board Member & Commissioner Patrick Swem reports that the Landfill Board has voted to recommend that the City of Buchanan appoint City Manager Heather Grace to serve as the City’s second member on the Landfill Board.
- Buchanan Area Fine Arts Council – At their regular meeting on July 8, 2021, the Buchanan Area Fine Arts Council (BAFAC) voted to recommend to the City Commission they consider approving the following appointments and reappointments:
- Reappoint Kelly Carlin and Trevor Hough to 4 -year terms, retroactive to July 1, 2021
- Reappoint Alice Kring, Karin Falkenstein, and Lee Lyon to 4- year terms, effective July 1, 2021 Appoint Honorable Patricia A. Moore to the board with a 4 – year term, effective July 1, 2021
- The BAFAC currently has 6 vacancies; 1 Buchanan Township, 1 Niles Township, 1 School Corporation, and 2 Members at Large. Consider Resolutions Regarding Name Change –
- The BAFAC also reports that its Board has voted to rescind its previous requisition to change its name from the Buchanan Area Fine Arts Council to the Buchanan Area Performing Arts Council. With approval from the Commission, City Administration will work to prepare updated Resolutions reflecting this subsequent name change, as the previously requested name change was already approved and memorialized in past Resolutions, and thus will need to be updated.
- Buchanan Tree Friends Discuss plans to plant 50 trees and the proposed tree planting sites for the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative tree planting grant, October 16, 2021. ReLeaf Michigan will seek to find Black Gum, Tuliptree, River Birch, American Hophornbeam, Bald Cypress, Red Maple, Sugar Maple, Hackberry, Swamp White Oak, Basswood, Littleleaf Linden, Princeton Sentry Ginkgo, Downy Hawthorn, Hawthorn, Serviceberry, and Crabapple trees. ReLeaf will competitively bid the trees with wholesale nurseries. The tree purchasing budget must adhere to the US Forest Service budget limitations for the cost and the delivery of the trees. The tree bids specify one and a half – inch to two – inch caliper diameter trees.
X. Unfinished Business
- Update on Storm Sewer Issues on Third Street at Redbud
- Quotes for the repair of the collapsed storm sewer infrastructure on Third Street at Redbud will be considered, with a quote from Green Construction & Engineering having been submitted, and a secondary quote from Selge Construction Co. Inc. anticipated to be submitted prior to Monday’s meeting.
XI. New Business
- Closed Session to Discuss Matters Subject to Attorney – Client Privilege Consider a motion to go into Closed Session to discuss matters subject to attorney – client privilege, pursuant to MCL 15.268 Sec. 8(h).
- Consider Approval of Employment Agreements Draft employment agreements for select staff will be submitted to the Commissioners for consideration for approval. Said agreements were drafted to clarify the employment relationships between select employees and the City of Buchanan and include provisions designed to implement the compensation -related expenditures approved in the 2021/2022 Fiscal Year Budget, including the following: transition to a salaried position with no compensatory time at a rate of $51,000 annually for both the Treasurer and the Clerk; transition of the Chief of Police to the position of “Director of Public Safety/Chief of Police” with an increase in pay of 5%; memorialization of the Community Development Director’s current pay and compensation, and the transition of the Building Inspector Position to include a 3% increase in pay as well as increased part – time hours.
- (informational only, formal board action is not necessary for these items, unless so desired)
XIII. Public Comment
- Non-Agenda Items Only (3-minute limit)
XIV. Executive Comments
- City Manager Comments
- Commissioner Comments
- Mayor Comments
You may view the completed July 26, 2021 City Commissioner Meeting Minutes on the City of Buchanan Website.