The Chippewa Project – Thursday Night Summer Concert Series
by Thomas Hoyt
I’m going to be honest and transparent here and say that I cannot say a whole lot about the band, The Chippewa Project, who performed simply because of the setting. For those who know, the Concert at the Common are free and people can come and go as they please.
My family and I did arrive after the band had already begun performing their songs. It really is much like a party. You can come and go as you please, have conversations with family and friends, bring a picnic supper or a pizza from Milano’s, bring a cooler with your favorite beverage, and just have a good ole time. The Buchanan District Library was raising funds by selling ice cream and pop, which my family and I enjoyed.
The Chippewa Project is a good size band of a lead vocalist, a lead guitar, and bass guitar, a drummer and I believe a mandolin player. They played a mix of songs from oldies to country, and I enjoyed listening to all of it. I think I may have even heard something bluesy.
Here are the rest of the Thursday night 2021 Summer Concert Series. They are held at the Buchanan Common, Thursdays at 7 P.M.
- June 17: Work in Progress Reloaded (enjoy your favorite country, blues and rock-n-roll)
- June 24: Blue Shoes (wide variety of tunes from swing to rock)
- July 1: Backsliders (acoustic arrangements of popular songs)
- July 8: 3 Shots (formerly Gypsy Red – country, classic rock & 3-part harmony)
- July 15: Red Deluxe Band (mix of rock, country, blues)
- July 22: Chippewa Project (mix of music from 60’s to present)
- July 29: Past Time (sounds of the 50’s & 60’s; Billy Shelton (Godfather of Do Wop) as guest vocalist)
- August 5: The Dean Allrick Trio (music from The Great American Songbook)
- August 12: Lake Effect Jazz Big Band (blend of traditional & contemporary jazz big band music)
About Buchanan Common: The Common is Buchanan’s very own outdoor amphitheatre. Sitting in the heart of historic Buchanan, it sets us apart from other local communities as something unique and special. All summer long the Common plays host to many events: from our Saturday Morning Farmers’ Market to Stop, Lunch, & Listen to our classic Thursday Night Town Concerts to our Last Saturdays on the Common Concert Series. In the future we look forward to expanding our offerings to live theater and outdoor movies. The best part of the Common, all of the events held here are FREE to the public and just another way we remind residents and show visitors how great Buchanan truly is. Hopefully you can grab a blanket, bring a picnic and enjoy some live entertainment in the warm summer air.