Write-Up by Editor Rebecka Hoyt, Agenda by City Clerk Barbara A. Pitcher
Please note that only the City Commission Meeting Agenda is posted below. At the end of the agenda, click on the link to take you to more detailed minutes of the meeting. Also, the meeting minutes will not be published in each issue of The Buchanan Chronicle (probably once a month) due to rules that minutes are approved at the next City Commission meeting.
The Buchanan City Commission met for their Monday meeting July 12th 2021 at 7:00 pm, in person again, Buchanan City Hall Chamber, 302 N Redbud Trail, Buchanan, MI 49107.
MONDAY, July 12, 2021 – 7:00 PM
I. Call to Order
- Mayor Denison called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. and led the Pledge of Allegiance.
III. Pledge of Allegiance
IV. Roll Call
V. Approve Agenda
- Amendments to the agenda to remove New Business Item XI. A. Special Use Permit presented by Attorney Sam Kilburg representing Zen Leaf; add New Business item XI. C. Set Date for Special Meetings Regarding DPW Building; and add New Business Item XI. D. Requests regarding Hannan Roberts Olympic Debut Special Broadcast Event at The Common.
VI. Public Comment – Agenda Items Only (3-minute limit)
- Alan Robandt
- Social District application
- Randy Hyrns’ letter
- Norma Ferris
- She’s Vice President of Dial-a-ride
- Mayor will address it
VII. Consent Agenda – (can be approved all in one motion, for general housekeeping items)
- Approve Minutes of the June 28, 2021 Regular Meeting
- Approve expenditures for July 12, 2021 in the amount of is $67,469.88.
- Items of note:
- 4-Ton Hot Box out of the Capital Projects;$27,512.77
- The Barton Group retainer fee; $3,000
- Affordable Asphalt Paving for asphalt patching;$3,000
- Items of note:
- Banner Placement Request Form
- Approve Banner Placement Request Form for Larry Money on behalf of the American Legion for their Annual Benefit Ride. Banner to be placed from August 16-23, 2021
VIII. Scheduled Matters from the Floor (if any)
- Joe Paolucci – Public Release of City Attorney Randy Hyrns’ 2019 Letter Regarding DDA Law
IX. Reports by: Departments, Committees, Boards
- Treasurer’s Report
- City Treasurer, Stephanie Powers reviewed some of the items of note on current expenditures.
X. Unfinished Business
- AFSCME Union Contract Correction
- The City Manager explained the error that dates were included on the submitted table, how it occurred, and how it could be misinterpreted. The submitted budget was correct, but the Commission may approve the update the table to omit the dates so the table would be more clear
XI. New Business
- Special Use Permit presented by Attorney Sam Kilberg representing Zen Leaf
- Item removed from agenda.
- Social District Application
- The State of Michigan recently approved the Buchanan Social District. The next step is that our city licensees must submit an application to opt into the Social District. The Social District law requires the City Commission approve a motion to recommend approval of the licensee’s application to the Michigan Liquor Control Commission. The State has confirmed that the Licensee, Maize N Brew Ltd. DBA B&W Village Inn of Buchanan, Michigan has submitted his application to opt into the Buchanan Social District. Consider recommendation by the Buchanan City Commission of Social District application from Licensee, Maize N Brew Ltd. DBA B&W Village Inn of Buchanan, Michigan for approval by the Michigan Liquor Control Commission
- Set Date for Special Meetings Regarding DPW Building
- City Manager Grace indicated seven (7) bids were received for feasibility, design, and engineering of a new DPW building. Consider setting a date for a special meeting to conduct an initial review of submissions and a second meeting to conduct formal interviews.
- The Commission will hold a special meeting on Wednesday, July 20 at 6:00 p.m. in the Chamber of City Hall to conduct initial review of submissions. No date was set to conduct formal interviews.
- Request Regarding Hannah Roberts’ Olympic Debut Special Broadcast at The Common
- Consider request to hold the event at the Common on July 31, 2021, from 9:00 p.m. to approximately 12:15 a.m., including a special waiver of the City’s noise ordinance (Sec. 38-29) which generally prohibits amplified sound later than 11:00 p.m., pay broadcast fees of $935, and approve a future banner request to hang the related banner, if able to be produced in time.
XII. Communications – (informational only, formal board action is not necessary for these items, unless so desired)
- Michigan Municipal League Annual Convention & Annual Meeting
- The MML Annual Convention will be held in Grand Rapids, September 22-24, 2021. The League’s Annual Meeting is scheduled during the convention. Pursuant to the provisions of the League Bylaws, the City is requested to designate by action of the Commission one official who will be in attendance at the Convention as the City’s official representative to cast the vote of the City at the Annual Meeting, and, if possible, to designate one other official to serve as alternate. Details included in the packet and at http://mml.org/delegate/.
- Commissioner Weedon commented that MML meetings have been informative and valuable networking opportunities for him in the past and volunteered to be the City’s delegate. Commissioner Money will be the alternate.
XIII. Public Comment – Non-Agenda Items Only (3-minute limit)
- Dan Vigansky – Would like City Hall to make a public statement about the dissolution of the DDA. We need to learn from our history so we can move forward.
- Dan Benak – Spoke regarding the Social District application process and his concerns.
- Penny Slocum – Asked the City to consider irrigation for planters at the Common or access to the hose so people don’t need to pull buckets of water out of the creek. She also noted the vegetation between the creek and the wrought iron fence along Days Avenue needs to be cleaned up. (Mike Baker indicated the jail crew currently working in the City is moving in that direction.)
- Rebecka Hoyt – The Buchanan Chronicle is adding a public page and comic strip to its site. They will be at the Farmer’s Market.
- Fran Terry – Spoke regarding the Social District, clarified some discrepancies, stated there were some errors in the contract and map. Stated the City cannot reimburse for licenses.
XIV. Executive Comments
- City Manager Comments
- Commissioner Comments
- Mayor Comments
You may view the completed July 12, 2021 City Commissioner Meeting Minutes on the City of Buchanan Website.