Thursday Night Summer Concert Series 2021
Review by Thomas Hoyt
For the final performance of the Thursday Night Summer Concert Series, the Lake Effect Jazz Big Band performed a very nice concert for us here in Buchanan. The band consists of 5 saxophones, 4 trombones, 5 trumpets, 5 in the rhythm section, and 2 vocalists.
- Andrea Gentry – Alto
- Anne Jensen – Alto
- * Glenn McFarland – Tenor
- * Jeff Bopp – Tenor
- Rob Funk – Bari
- Joe Hickner
- Andy Brady
- Scott Fisher
- Brad Jensen – Bass ‘Bone
- * Steve Bizoe
- * Mark Hollandsworth
- Kevin Renfro
- Rod Noftsger
- * Tom Crowner, Associate Director
- Kim McCavit – Piano
- Tom Gillespie – Guitar
- Joe Trojan – Percussion
- Jim Allen – Percussion
- Tim King – Bass
- *Rebecca Selvidge
- Andrew Fisher
- Sound Tech
- Tim King
- Steven L. Reed; Director of Orchestras & Jazz (Retired), Saint Joseph Public Schools
The band performed at least 2 songs of Frank Sinatra, “Fly Me to the Moon” and “New York, New York”. These were sung by vocalist, Andrew Fisher. There was also a performance of a song of Peggy Lee, sung by Becky Selvidge. All these songs were performed beautifully.
Another selection performed by the band was call Masquerade, by Leon Russell. This one really made my head bop and my toe tap. I very much enjoyed the solos performed by everyone.
Rounding out their performance was “Children of Sanchez” by Chuck Mangione. This one was a real treat! The flugelhorn soloist was amazing! In fact, all the trumpets were amazing, and I especially enjoyed hearing a trumpet playing up in the stratosphere!
All in all it was a fantastic performance of some great jazz music!
Here is the rest of the Thursday night 2021 Summer Concert Series. They are/were held at the Buchanan Common, Thursdays at 7 P.M.
- June 17: Work in Progress Reloaded (enjoy your favorite country, blues and rock-n-roll)
- June 24: Blue Shoes (wide variety of tunes from swing to rock)
- July 1: Backsliders (acoustic arrangements of popular songs)
- July 8: 3 Shots (formerly Gypsy Red – country, classic rock & 3-part harmony)
- July 15: Red Deluxe Band (mix of rock, country, blues)
- July 22: Chippewa Project (mix of music from 60’s to present)
- July 29: Past Time (sounds of the 50’s & 60’s; Billy Shelton (Godfather of Do Wop) as guest vocalist)
- August 5: The Dean Allrick Trio (music from The Great American Songbook)
- August 12: Lake Effect Jazz Big Band (blend of traditional & contemporary jazz big band music)
About Buchanan Common: The Common is Buchanan’s very own outdoor amphitheatre. Sitting in the heart of historic Buchanan, it sets us apart from other local communities as something unique and special. All summer long the Common plays host to many events: from our Saturday Morning Farmers’ Market to Stop, Lunch, & Listen to our classic Thursday Night Town Concerts to our Last Saturdays on the Common Concert Series. In the future we look forward to expanding our offerings to live theater and outdoor movies. The best part of the Common, all of the events held here are FREE to the public and just another way we remind residents and show visitors how great Buchanan truly is. Hopefully you can grab a blanket, bring a picnic and enjoy some live entertainment in the warm summer air.