School Bus Safety Tips
by Officer Brie – Buchanan City Police Department
Today we are talking about stopping for school buses! When you see those flashing lights and stop sign make sure you STOP! Here are the things you need to remember when you see a school bus stopped:
- Stay away from the bus when the lights are flashing and stop sign is out! State law states NO LESS THAN 20 ft from the bus.
- Stop when the lights start flashing, not just when the stop sign comes out…you know what they are about to do.
- All traffic at an intersection must stop for the bus that has their lights and stop sign activated.
- All traffic MUST STOP unless upon a highway that has been divided into 2 roadways by leaving an intervening space, or by a physical barrier.
- Wait until the lights stop flashing and the stop sign is no longer visible before you proceed.
- If the driver puts their hazard lights on and pulls off to the side of the road, proceed with caution if there is no oncoming traffic, and if is safe to do so.
- BE PATIENT. School bus drivers will wait until all vehicles come to a complete stop before they signal the child to A. Cross the road, or B. Get onto the bus.
- If you pass a school bus while they are picking up children, YOU WILL receive a citation. Many states, including ours, are cracking down on drivers who decide to pass while the bus is stopped.
Help keep our children safe by stopping for ALL school buses! You can wait an extra few minutes, because whatever has you rushed, it is not worth a child’s life. Please report if you see someone pass a school bus with their lights and stop sign activated. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at Buchanan City Police Department (269)695-5120.
Like us on Facebook for more tips of the week!
Stay safe out there 😎
~ Officer Brie