Write-Up by Editor Rebecka Hoyt, Agenda by City Clerk Barbara A. Pitcher
Please note that only the City Commission Meeting Agenda is posted below. At the end of the agenda, click on the link to take you to more detailed minutes of the meeting. Also, the meeting minutes will not be published in each issue of The Buchanan Chronicle (probably once a month) due to rules that minutes are approved at the next City Commission meeting.
The Buchanan City Commission met for their Monday meeting September 27th 2021 at 7:00 pm, in person, Buchanan City Hall Chamber, 302 N Redbud Trail, Buchanan, MI 49107.
MONDAY, September 27, 2021 – 7:00 PM
I. Call to Order
III. Pledge of Allegiance / Invocation
IV. Roll Call
V. Approve Agenda
VI. Public Comment – Agenda Items Only (3-minute limit)
VII. Consent Agenda – (can be approved all in one motion, for general housekeeping items)
- Approve Minutes
- September 13, 2021, Regular Meeting
- September 20, 2021, Special Meeting Minutes
- Approve Expenditures for September 27, 2021
- Banner Placement Request Form
- Approve banner placement request from Ann Tuite on behalf of the Buchanan Tree Friends for a large horizontal banner to hang on South Redbud From October 1-17, 2021 to advertise grant funded tree planting on October 16, 2021. Approve banner placement request from the Buchanan Area Chamber of Commerce for a large horizontal banner to hang on South Redbud from Nov. 12th-29th to advertise the White Saturday Shop Local Event that will be held the weekend after Thanksgiving.
- Street Closure Request
- Pending internal approvals, approve the request from Sarah Gault at the Buchanan District Library for a street closure on Days Avenue from Front to the Library parking lot on Saturday, October 2, from 2:30-4:30 p.m. to accommodate the Pumpkin Jamboree Pedal Pull. Pending internal approvals, approve a street closure on Front Street from Duck Pond Park to Oak Street on Fri., Oct. 8th from 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. for the Homecoming Parade.
- Accept Staff Activity Briefings
VIII. Scheduled Matters from the Floor (if any)
IX. Reports by Departments, Committees, Boards
- Public Services Report
- Update on DPW Building Committee and staff transitions.
- Public Safety Report
- Update on the hiring of a new police officer.
- Community Development Director Report
- Addendums to be considered for Façade and Restaurant Incentive Programs.
- Request for approval of Downtown Façade Program application by Molly Thornton and Union Coffee House, 115 E. Front St.
X. Unfinished Business
XI. New Business
- Sardor Vakhidov, Blackbird LLC Adult Use Marihuana Class C Grow Permit Application
- Consider approval of an Adult Use Class C Grow Facility at 402-404 S. Oak St., Buchanan, Michigan, 49107.
- Sardor Vakihidov, Blackbird LLC submitted their application and received approval from the Planning Commission on September 14, 2021.
- Buchanan Master Plan 2021
- Consider adoption of Resolution No. 2021.09/236 to adopt Buchanan City Master Plan 2021.
- Redevelopment Ready Communities
- Review and discuss the MEDC Redevelopment Ready Communities baseline report for the City of Buchanan. Consider adoption of Resolution 2021.09/237 Authorizing the Implementation of Recommendations Necessary to Receive Redevelopment Ready Communities Certification from the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC).
XII. Communications (informational only, formal board action is not necessary for these items, unless so desired)
- Southwest Michigan Tourist Council In a letter included in the agenda packet, the Council reflects on 2020 and looks forward to plans for 2021.
- Volunteers Needed for Tree Planting – October 16
- ReLeaf Michigan, a non-profit tree organization, is partnering with the City of Buchanan, Buchanan Tree Friends, St. Joseph River Basin Commission, the Indiana DNR, Davey Resource Group, and the MDNR – Urban and Community Forestry Program to plant 50 trees on Saturday, October 16, 2021, at Buchanan City Hall and along East Front Street, Buchanan Middle School, and 3rd Street. Trees provide many benefits to communities such as shade, improving economic vitality of commercial districts, absorbing stormwater, and reducing carbon in our atmosphere. Funding for the program is provided through a US Forest Service Great Lakes Restoration Initiative grant awarded to ReLeaf Michigan to support and expand local capacity to manage community forest and trees. Tree locations were determined based on the results of a tree canopy assessment, which identified areas where trees would have the most environmental, economic, and aesthetic impact. Masks are recommended. Volunteers are asked to wear closed-toe shoes, comfortable clothing and bring a shovel and work gloves if they have them. The group will meet at Buchanan City Hall, 302 N. Red Bud Trail at 8:45 a.m. to sign in and enjoy refreshments. Volunteers will then watch a planting demonstration from ReLeaf Michigan’s tree experts. Event occurs rain or shine. No planting experience is necessary, and families are encouraged. Join us for the morning and leave an environmental legacy that will add to the beauty and health of your community for generations. We hope to see you there! Special thanks to city officials and the Buchanan Tree Friends for their much-appreciated collaboration to enhance this wonderful community. Where: Buchanan City Hall, 302 N. Red Bud Trail, Buchanan, MI 49107 When: Saturday, October 16th from 8:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sponsors: ReLeaf Michigan (www.ReLeafMichigan.org) City of Buchanan St. Joseph River Basin Commission US Forest Service Davey Resource Group Indiana DNR MDNR – Urban and Community Forestry Program Cost: This event is free! RSVPs are appreciated. RSVP to http://www.ReLeafMichigan.org/rsvp For questions, call Ann Tuite (312) 662-3149 or email email@example.com.
XIII. Public Comment – Non-Agenda Items Only (3-minute limit)
XIV. Executive Comments
- City Manager Comments
- Commissioner Comments
- Mayor Comments
You may view the completed September 27, 2021 City Commission Meeting Minutes on the City of Buchanan Website.