Email Response From Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer to Miranda Barger
Submitted by Miranda Barger, Response from MI Gov. Whitmer
This is an email response from Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer that one of our new writers, Miranda Barger, received regarding the cost of child care and working parents.
Date: Wed, Sep 29, 2021
Subject: Fwd: RE: Governor Whitmer – Responding to Your Message
To: Miranda Barger
“As we head into October, I wanted to take a moment to share exciting news with you about our historic investment in childcare.
“I am thrilled that the legislature and I were able to come to a bipartisan budget agreement for Fiscal Year 2022. Among the major successes of this budget is the more than $1.4 billion in support for Michigan parents and childcare providers. Specifically, this budget:
- Expands low- and no-cost childcare to 105,000 more children, allowing working parents to transition back to a regular schedule knowing their kids are in a safe, supportive environment
- Waives $13 million in parent copays for childcare through Fiscal Year 2022, easing the financial burden of childcare on families
- Provides direct funding for childcare providers, giving them the opportunity to increase worker pay
- Boosts slots available for infants and toddlers, providing early support for families
- Gives childcare providers the opportunity to receive technical assistance and facility improvements through startup grants
- Delivers a one-time $1,000 bonus for childcare staff who worked on the front lines during the pandemic
“When parents have access to reliable, safe, and affordable childcare, our economy flourishes. Parents can be more productive at work knowing their kids are cared for, and those who took on childcare responsibilities during the pandemic can get back to a regular work schedule. Furthermore, we are investing in the future of our economy by placing our children in an environment where they can grow and thrive from an early age.
“Every Michigan family deserves access to quality, affordable childcare. I am so proud of our state for making this bipartisan effort to invest in our children, their families, and our economy. This collaboration demonstrates what’s possible when we all put Michigan families and communities first.
Governor of Michigan“
(You may contact Governor Whitmer’s office by calling 517-335-7858 or online at https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer.)