Good Things Happening at Buchanan High School
by BHS Principal Stacey DeMaio
Student Mural Spruces Up Classroom
Ava Graham and Laura Sweeney have been working on this mural in Mr. Froelich and Mrs. Warmbein’s room for the last 4 weeks! These ladies are sharing their talents by making inviting and creative spaces for our students to learn and grow.
Cyber Seniors – Mr. Philip
Cyber Seniors was founded in 2015 as a non-profit organization that allows High School students to provide senior citizens with tech-training. Our CTE students in our BMA and Graphic Design programs visit the Buchanan Senior Center a few times throughout the year to be digital mentors to our local senior citizens. This program has been a really positive experience over the last few years. Students and seniors really enjoy the conversation and the challenges that they are able work through together. It’s a lot of fun and I’m glad that we are able to start doing it again.
8th Grade Science
Students in 8th grade earth science are working on creating windmills in class. They researched designs and worked through challenges to create a windmill that would transfer enough energy to lift a small object with the wind power. Students have been learning about renewable energy sources and some of their advantages and disadvantages. This activity gave them a practical problem to solve as well as a chance to work collaboratively with their classmates.
BHS Esports Team Takes Home the Trophy… AGAIN!
Our BHS Esports team took home the championship trophy this past week at Lake Michigan College. Berrien RESA hosted the Southwest Michigan High School Esports League Fall Championships for area high school teams. They swept the competition without loosing a single game! They went up against Michigan Lutheran in the semifinals and won 3-0, then went on to take out Fennville in the final match, winning 4-0.
Cleary University awarded $20,000 in scholarships to the 1st and 2nd place Rocket League teams. Our BHS team was awarded $12,000. Esports is an up-and-coming activity that is getting attention at the national and international levels. Students can go on to play for college teams and may also be eligible for up to $18.5 million in scholarships. The skills used in Esports lend themselves to a variety of careers in the gaming industry such as computer and packaging engineering, graphic design, marketing, software development and communication.
Congratulations to coach Pearson and his team (Will Goodrich, Aaron Walters, & Kaleb Lingle) for bringing home the Immortals trophy. And thanks to Bricen Rudlaff for the amazing pictures capturing the event!
Buchanan Community Schools Says Goodbye to Mrs. Lentz
Thank you Sue Lentz for your dedication and service to the staff, students, and families of Buchanan Community Schools. We hope you enjoy your well-deserved retirement!
SAVE THE DATE!!!
- December 6 – Winter Band Concert at 7:00 pm
- December 16 – Half Day Exams 1-3, Dismissal at 11:00am
- December 17 – Half Day Exams 4-6, Dismissal at 11:00am, End of First Semester
- December 20 – 31 – Winter Break
- January 3 – Second Semester Begins
- January 17 – NO SCHOOL
- February 2 – Half Day (Hours 1-6) Dismissal at 11:00am
- February 18 – NO SCHOOL
- February 21 – NO SCHOOL (President’s Day)
- March 16 – NHS Induction & Academic Letter Awards
- March 17 – Half Day (Hours 1-6) Dismissal at 11:00am , Parent/Teacher Conferences
- March 18 – NO SCHOOL
- March 21 – 25 – Spring Break
- April 6 – Half Day (Hours 1-6) Dismissal at 11:00am
- April 15 – Half Day (Hours 1-6) Dismissal at 11:00am
- May 4 – Half Day (Hours 1-6) Dismissal at 11:00am
- May 27 – Commencement
- May 30 – NO SCHOOL (Memorial Day)
- June 7 – Half Day Exams 1-3, Dismissal at 11:00am
- June 8 – Half Day Exams 4-6 Dismissal at 11:00am