Submitted by Michelle Munyon, Executive Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent, Buchanan Community Schools
Please note that the Board of Education Meeting Agenda is posted below. At the end of the agenda, click on the link to take you to more detailed minutes of the meeting. Also, the meeting minutes will not be published in each issue of The Buchanan Chronicle, but instead as they are available.
- Regular Meeting
- 12/13/2021 6:00 PM
- Watch the live stream: https://youtu.be/FPBU6ybo20A
- Buchanan High School Auditorium
- 401 W. Chicago Street
- Buchanan, MI 49107
A. Opening of Meeting by President
Description: We welcome you to a meeting of the Buchanan Community Schools Board of Education.
All regular meetings have been posted on our district website, in our central office, and in each district school building. Tonight’s agenda has been posted on our website and emailed out to the BCS Board of Education Community Subscription. Our school board members receive the agenda and all supporting documents for reports and action items several days prior to this scheduled meeting, so they can review information, prepare questions or comments, and are ready to participate fully in the discussions and votes that encompass the duties of their office.
This meeting is a meeting of the Board of Education in public for the purpose of conducting the school district’s business and is not to be considered a public community meeting.
There is a time for regular public participation during the meeting as indicated in agenda item H. If you wish to make a presentation to the Board, please fill out the Speaker Card and pass it to the Board President before item H on the agenda.
Thank you for your support of Buchanan Community Schools!
B. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
C. Roll Call
D. Adoption of Agenda
E. Recognition of Visitors (All visitors, please sign the sign-in sheet.)
F. Superintendent/Department Reports
F.I. Buck Staff Appreciation December Winner:
- Margaret Cowles, BCS Food Service
F.II. Buck Staff Appreciation December Nominees:
- Dawn Van Dyke, Ottawa Special Education Teacher
- Donna Southwell, BHS Interventionist
- Heather Wilson, BCS Bus Driver
- Kim Klug, BMS Ladies Locker Room Aide/Lunch Aide
- Kristin Shaner, Ottawa Paraprofessional
- Larry Kline, BCS Operations Utility Staff
- Lisa Gregory, Moccasin 2nd Grade Teacher
- Mark Kurland, BCS Assistant Superintendent
- Melissa Sweeney, BCS Food Service
- Michelle Canfield, BCS Food Service
- Miranda Capron, BHS Interventionist
- Nicole Hughes, BMS 5th Grade Teacher
- Sam Bentley, BCS Food Service
F.III. Board Updates:
- BHS, BMS, Moccasin, Ottawa, Athletics/BVA/CTE, Business Office, Operations, Food Service, Information Technology, Transportation, Assistant Superintendent and Superintendent
G.I. School Highlight:
- Rebecca Kaltenbach, BCS Food Service Supervisor
G.II. Executive Team Updates
- Phil Place, Director of Technology
- Al Berget, Director of Operations
- Carrie Brunsting, Business Office Specialist
- Mark Kurland, Assistant Superintendent
- Patricia Robinson, Superintendent
H. Information/Reports & New Business
H.I. Board Policy Committee – November 17th & December 1st Meeting
H.II. Public Relations Committee – November 18th Meeting
H.III. Finance Committee – November 23rd Meeting
H.IV. Curriculum & Programming Committee – December 2nd Meeting
H.V. Parent Advisory Committee – December 2nd Meeting
H.VI. Professional Development Committee – December 6th Meeting
H.VII. BMS Student Advisory Committee – December 7th Meeting
H.VIII. School Farm Advisory Committee – December 7th Meeting
H.IX. Superintendent & Buck Parent Conversations – December 8th Meeting
I. Community Dialogue/Citizens’ Concerns
J. Adoption of Consent Agenda Items
K. Recommended Action – Other
K.I. Closed Session – Student Discipline
K.II. Return to Open Session
K.III. Student Discipline – Expulsion Hearing
K.IV. NEOLA First Reading
K.V. Summer Tax Resolution
K.VI. Athletic Conference Change
K.VII. Emergency Operations Plan
K.VIII. School Farm Advisory Board – Member Appointment Approval
K.IX. Closed Session Superintendent Mid-Year Review
K.X. Return to Open Session
L. Questions & Comments From Board Members
M. Next Board Meeting:
- Monday, January 10th at 6pm
You may view the completed December 13, 2021 Board of Education Meeting Minutes on the Buchanan Community Schools website here.
Buchanan Community Schools Board of Education
Mission: Educating students for life-long success in their civic, academic, physical and social/emotional lives.
Vision: To develop responsible, resilient, creative citizens capable of succeeding in a global society.
Beliefs: We Believe in providing a safe, supportive, respectful environment, opportunities for all students (options), student growth and achievement, and cooperative relationships among students, families, stakeholders and community members.
Members of the public may contact members of the school board to provide input or ask questions on any business that will come before the board. These items will also be shared with the Superintendent.
- Dr. Harvey Burnett, President – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ruth Writer, Vice-President – email@example.com
- Kelly Laesch, Secretary – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chris Lee, Treasurer – email@example.com
- Katie Berry, Trustee – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chris Carlson, Trustee – email@example.com
- Dr. Scott Carlin, Trustee – firstname.lastname@example.org
Official minutes of school board meetings are stored and available for inspection in the Superintendent’s Office. Meeting minutes are also posted on our district website under the Board of Education. www.buchananschools.com
Upon request to Michelle Munyon, the District shall make reasonable accommodations for a person with disabilities to be able to participate in the meeting.