PUBLIC HEARING, JOINT MEETING WITH BUCHANAN CITY COMMISSION AND BUCHANAN TWP BOARD OF TRUSTEES, REGULAR MEETING OF THE BUCHANAN CITY COMMISSION
Agenda with Minutes by City Clerk Kalla Langston
Please note that the City Commission Meeting Agenda is posted below. At the end of the agenda, click on the link to take you to more detailed minutes of the meeting. Also, the meeting minutes may not be published in each issue of The Buchanan Chronicle (probably once a month) due to rules that minutes are approved at the next City Commission meeting.
THE COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF BUCHANAN in compliance with Michigan’s Open Meetings Act, as amended, B2103192 of 2021, hereby gives notice of a regular meeting of the Buchanan City Commission to be held in the Chamber of Buchanan City Hall, 302 N Redbud Trail, Buchanan MI.
- Requests to be added to the agenda as a “Scheduled Matter from the Floor” should be submitted in writing to the City Clerk at least 5 business days prior to the
scheduled meeting during which the speaker wishes to appear, and the approval of such requests remain within the discretion of the Mayor. If denied, the speaker may
nonetheless speak during the “non-agenda items only” public comments section of the agenda.
- Those who are unable to appear during a meeting but who still wish to share public comment may submit such comments in written form to the City Clerk at least 4 hours in advance of the meeting.
- Individuals with disabilities may request necessary reasonable accommodations by submitting requests to the City Clerk, preferably at least 24 hours in advance.
- Written requests and comments may be submitted to the City Clerk either in person or via mail to Buchanan City Hall, 302 N. Redbud Trail, Buchanan, MI 49107, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Buchanan City Commission will meet for this meeting January 24th 2022 at 7:00 pm, in person, Buchanan City Hall Chamber, 302 N Redbud Trail, Buchanan, MI 49107.
The entire Joint 5-Year Recreation Plan is available on the City website and can be found at the following link: https://tinyurl.com/4baehab8. Printed copies are also available at Buchanan City Hall.
MONDAY, January 24, 2022 – 7:00 PM
Begin Joint Meeting Agenda:
I. City Call to Order Joint Meeting
II. Township Call to Order Joint Meeting.
III. City Roll Call
IV. Township Roll Call
V. City Approve Agenda
VI. Township Approve Agenda
VII. City Open Public Hearing
VIII. Township Open Public Hearing
IX. City Close Public Hearing
X. Township Close Public Hearing
XI. Joint New Business
- City of Buchanan to Consider a Resolution to Adopt the Buchanan Community Recreation Plan 2022-2026.
- Buchanan Township to Consider a Resolution to Adopt the Buchanan Community Recreation Plan 2022-2026.
XII. Township Public Comment
XIII. Township Executive Comments
XIV. Township Adjourn
End of Joint Session
Begin Regular Meeting Agenda:
Regular meeting of the Buchanan City Commission Continues.
XVI. Public Comment
Agenda Items Only (3-minute limit)
XVII. Consent Agenda
(can be approved all in one motion, for general housekeeping items)
- Approve Expenditures for January 24, 2022, in the amount of $85,417.63.
- Consider Approving Minutes for the January 10th, 2022 Regular Meeting of the City Commission.
- Consider approving Minutes from the January 12, 2022 Special Meeting of the City Commission.
XVIII. Scheduled Matters from the Floor
XIX. Reports by: Departments, Committees, Boards
- Treasurers Report- Treasurer Stephanie Powers will give a brief report and will introduce Tim Bailey of Bailey Investments Group and LPL Financial for Honor Credit Union. Consider the request to move 2 million dollars in the City investment account to an indexed annuity with 4% growth and no downside on returns.
- Community Development Director Report- Rich Murphy will discuss two additional economic development incentive programs:
- Redevelopment Liquor Licenses – Director Murphy, Manager Grace, Assessor Cole, and Building Inspector Lewis have been working together, along with the City Attorneys, to try to make the City of Buchanan eligible for additional liquor licenses through a special “redevelopment liquor license” program offered through the State of Michigan. Director Murphy will share details regarding the program and ask for Commission support in the form of a resolution– Consider Approving a Resolution to Create a City Redevelopment Project Area, which is proposed to encompass the entire City. [Note that an establishment would still need to satisfy zoning requirements for any specific location wanting to utilize a liquor license].
- Tax Abatements – Director Murphy, Manager Grace, and Assessor Cole, along with generous assistance from Cornerstone Alliance, are working to have a tax abatement program ready to discuss in more detail during the February 14th City Commission meeting, but a brief preview explanation of the planned program will be discussed at this time.
XX. Unfinished Business
XXI. New Business
- Consider Entering Closed Session to discuss matters subject to attorney-client privilege, pursuant to MCL 15.268 Sec. 8(1)(h).
- Draft Harassment and Discrimination Policy
- Draft Land Redevelopment Program
- Draft Parking Ordinance
- DDA Loan Follow-up
- USDA Project Follow-up
- Architect Contract Follow-up
- Zoning Questions Follow-up
- Blight Enforcement Questions Follow-up
- Draft Mobile Food Vending Ordinance
- Consider Re-Entering Open Session
- Consider taking action, if any, on items discussed in Closed Session
(informational only, formal board action is not necessary for these items, unless so desired)
XXIII. Public Comment
Non-Agenda Items Only (3-minute limit)
XXIV. Executive Comments
- City Manager Comments
- Commissioner Comments
- Mayor Comments
You may view this complete Agenda, Meeting January 24, 2022 here.
You may view all completed City Commission Meeting Minutes on the City of Buchanan Website.