February Events at Buchanan Area Senior Center
Submitted by Diana Smuda, BASC Program Coordinator
Below are some programs at the BASC in February:
- Tuesday, February 15, at 11am
- BIGGEST LITTLE BASEBALL MUSEUM AT THE BASC AND A BRIEF HISTORY OF BLACK PEOPLE IN BASEBALL:
- Staff from the Biggest Little Baseball Museum will be at the BASC to share about the game of baseball. Topics presented will include town teams, area big leaguers, Little League, card collecting, and in recognition of Black History Month, a brief history of Black People in baseball.
- The Biggest Little Baseball Museum is located on the second floor of the nicest building within 100 miles, the Three Oaks Township Library. It is open during regular library hours, and admission is free.
- Friday, February 18, at 2pm
- RECRUITING FOR CLARK:
- During World War II, the Clark Equipment Company had switched to wartime production. They produced landing craft and other mechanical equipment. But the need for soldiers had produced a severe labor shortage in Buchanan. To supplement Clark’s labor force, Clark employee, Everett Watson, was sent South to recruit new employees. You will see what the recruits saw when Everett came to towns throughout the South. Photos of what their workplace and jobs would be like, where they would be housed, what they needed to bring and what they could expect to be paid. Also how they would get to Buchanan and photos of former recruits in Buchanan.
- This program is to honor the Black People who moved to Buchanan and helped make Clark Equipment Company the successful company it was during the decades Clark Equipment Company was in Buchanan.
- All materials used in this presentation are from the Everett Watson Collection in the Local History Room of the Buchanan District Library.
- Tuesday, February 8, from 10:15-11:35am
- BASC EXERCISE INSTRUCTORS SEMINAR:
- Studies have shown that exercise classes reduce loneliness and social isolation in Seniors, along with health benefits. The intention of the BASC Exercise Instructors Seminar program is to offer our patrons the opportunity to get to know the BASC exercise instructors and to learn more about their specific exercise classes that are offered at the BASC.
- Registration is Required. Call 695-7119 to reserve your seat.
- Each instructor will share about themselves, why they chose to become an exercise instructor, and have about a 10 minute exercise routine, which you may participate. Call 695-7119 to reserve your seat.
- Mondays at 11am
- NEW EXERCISE PROGRAM AT THE BASC:
- Zumba Low-Impact with fitness instructor Cecile “CC” Cheney
- Zumba Low-Impact is a modified version of Zumba (fun Latin & other international dance fitness) geared toward active, older adults seeking lower-impact workouts. The movements are easier to follow. It combines medium and slow rhythms that tone and sculpt the body. It contains gentle movements that increase joint flexibility and increase muscle strength.
- WINTER CLOSING REMINDER:
- If the Buchanan Schools are closed due to bad weather, the BASC is closed and there will be no meal delivery. Watch for closings on WNDU-16.
- If you are in doubt, please call us at 695-7119.
Thank you for supporting the Buchanan Area Senior Center!
For more information on programs/classes you can contact Program Coordinator, Diana Smuda at the BASC at 269-695-7119 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Buchanan Area Senior Center