Agenda by City Clerk Kalla Langston
Please note that the City Commission Meeting Agenda is posted below. At the end of the agenda, click on the link to take you to more detailed minutes of the meeting. Also, the meeting minutes may not be published in each issue of The Buchanan Chronicle (probably once a month) due to rules that minutes are approved at the next City Commission meeting.
THE COMMISSION OF THE CITY OF BUCHANAN in compliance with Michigan’s Open Meetings Act, as amended, B2103192 of 2021, hereby gives notice of a regular meeting of the Buchanan City Commission to be held in the Chamber of Buchanan City Hall, 302 N Redbud Trail, Buchanan MI.
- Requests to be added to the agenda as a “Scheduled Matter from the Floor” should be submitted in writing to the City Clerk at least 5 business days prior to the scheduled meeting during which the speaker wishes to appear, and the approval of such requests remain within the discretion of the Mayor. If denied, the speaker may nonetheless speak during the “non-agenda items only” public comments section of the agenda.
- Those who are unable to appear during a meeting but who still wish to share public comment may submit such comments in written form to the City Clerk at least 4 hours in advance of the meeting.
- Individuals with disabilities may request necessary reasonable accommodations by submitting requests to the City Clerk, preferably at least 24 hours in advance.
- Written requests and comments may be submitted to the City Clerk either in person or via mail to Buchanan City Hall, 302 N. Redbud Trail, Buchanan, MI 49107, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Buchanan City Commission met for this regular meeting Monday, February 14th 2022 at 7:00 pm, in person, Buchanan City Hall Chamber, 302 N Redbud Trail, Buchanan, MI 49107.
MONDAY, February 14, 2022 – 7:00 PM
Begin Meeting Agenda:
I. Call to Order
II. Pledge of Allegiance
III. Roll Call
IV. Approve Agenda
V. Open Public Hearing 1
V.A. Public Hearing on Requested Removal of Dan Vigansky from City Boards
– A public hearing will be held to accept comments and input related to an item on tonight’s agenda under new business whereby the City Commission shall consider the request of Mayor Denison and Commissioner Money to have Dan Vigansky removed from all City Boards, including the Buchanan Area Recreation Board (BARB) for alleged misfeasance, namely, repeated disruptive behavior during a January 12, 2022 BARB meeting, which negatively impacted the City’s ability to conduct its business during said meeting.
VI. Close of Public Hearing 1
VII. Open Public Hearing 2
VII.A. Public Hearing and Public Comment on Establishing an Obsolete Property Rehabilitation (OPRA) District for Rowland Property Group LLC, 101-103 Days Ave. Buchanan, MI 49107.
– P.A. 146 of 2000, as amended – The Obsolete Property Rehabilitation Act (OPRA), PA 146 of 2000, as amended, provides property tax exemptions for commercial and commercial housing properties that are rehabilitated and meet the requirements of the Act. Properties must meet eligibility requirements including a statement of obsolescence by the local assessor. The property must be located in an established Obsolete Property Rehabilitation District. Exemptions are approved for a term of 1-12 years as determined by the local unit of government. The property taxes for the rehabilitated property are based on the previous year’s (prior to rehabilitation) taxable value. The taxable value is frozen for the duration of the exemption. Additionally, the State Treasurer may approve reductions of half of the school operating and state education taxes for a period not to exceed 6 years for 25 applications annually. Applications are filed, reviewed and approved by the local unit of government, but are also subject to review at the State level by the Property Services Division. The State Tax Commission (STC) is responsible for final approval and issuance of OPRA certificates. Exemptions are not effective until approved by the STC.
– Notice for Days.pdf (0.01 MB)
– 10 Pages of FAQs re OPRA.pdf (0.16 MB)
VIII. Close of Public Hearing 2
IX. Open Public Hearing 3
IX.A. Public Hearing and Public Comment on Establishing an Obsolete Property Rehabilitation (OPRA) District for Claremont Stark LLC, 502 Claremont St. Buchanan, MI 49107.
– Notice for OPRA.pdf (0.01 MB)
X. Close of Public Hearing 3
(Regular meeting continues after close of Public Hearing 3)
XI.A. Recognition of Mike Adams– The City Commission would like to recognize Buchanan City Fire Chief Mike Adams for 30 years of service to our community.
XI.B. Recognition of Dave Capron– The City Commission would like to recognize Dave Capron of the Buchanan City Police Department for his 26 years of service to our community.
XII. Public Comment
Agenda Items Only (3-minute limit)
XIII. Consent Agenda
(can be approved all in one motion, for general housekeeping items)
XIII.A. Consider Approving Special Meeting Minutes from January 31, 2022.
XIII.B. Consider Approving Expenditures for February 14th, 2022, in the amount of $132,125.56.
– Invoice Fund Breakdown.pdf (0.06 MB)
– Invoice GL Distribution.pdf (0.10 MB)
– Invoice Register Report.pdf (0.08 MB)
XIV. Scheduled Matters from the Floor
XIV.A. “March for Band” Resolution
– Jen Tabor will give a brief presentation regarding her request to have the City Commission resolve to declare that March is officially the “March for Band” month in the City of Buchanan. “March for Band” is a newly created organization, spearheaded by Ms. Tabor, to help bring financial and community support to our Buchanan Area School District Band. -Consider approving the Resolution declaring March as “March for Band” month in Buchanan.
– RES 424 – 2022.02.424 March for Band.pdf (0.06 MB)
XV. Reports by: Departments, Committees, Boards
XV.A. Community Development Director Report– Richard Murphy has several items to be considered by City Commission.
XV.A.I. Consider Approving Redbud Roots 2022 Marihuanan Permit Renewal applications and fees for the following permits:
XV.A.I.1. Medical Marihuana, Lab II, 208 Post Rd., Grower Class C, $5,000.00
XV.A.I.2. Medical Marihuana, Lab II, 215 Post Rd., Grower Class C, $5,000.00
XV.A.I.3. Medical Marihuana, Lab II, 448 Post Rd., Grower Class C, $5,000.00
XV.A.I.4. Medical Marihuana, Lab II, 448 Post Rd., Grower Class C stacked, $1,500.00 (Red Bud Roots will not renew this license for 2022)
XV.A.I.5. Medical Marihuana, Lab IV, 215 Post Rd., Processor, $5,000.00
XV.A.I.6. Adult Use, Lab II, 835 Terre Coupe St., Grower Class C, $5,000.00
XV.A.I.7. Adult Use, Lab II, 835 Terre Coupe St., Grower Class C stacked, $1,500.00 (Red Bud Roots will not renew this license for 2022)
XV.A.I.8. Adult Use, Lab IV, 215 Post Rd., Processor, $5,000.00
XV.A.I.9. Adult Use, Lab II, 215 Post Rd., Grower Class C, $5,000.00
XV.A.II. Consider Approving 7Engines/G2 Development 2022 Marihuanan Permit Renewal applications and fees for the following permits:
XV.A.II.1. Medical Marihuana, PR 2, 408 River St., Processor, $5,000.00
XV.A.II.2. Medical Marihuana, PC5, 1101 E. Front St., Provisioning Center Facility, $5000.00
XV.A.II.3. Medical Marihuana, GC4, 408 River St., Grower Class C, $5,000.00
XV.A.II.4. Adult Use, AUMPR2, 408 River St., Processor Establishment, $5,000.00
XV.A.II.5. Adult Use, AUMGC, 408 River St., Grower Class C, $5,000.00
XV.A.II.6. Adult Use, AUMRE, 1101 E. Front St., Retailer Establishment, $5,000.00
XV.A.III. Consider Approving Designated Consumption Establishment License Application submitted by Cannavista Wellness, 120 E. Front St. Special Use Permit for Designated Consumption Establishment was approved by the Planning Commission in December of 2021.
XV.B. Community Development Report:
– Chamber Executive Director/Main Street Manager Ashley Regal will provide a report on her recent progress on the creation of the Main Street program’s Board of Directors.
– Director Regal will also provide a brief report regarding the issue of renting out The Common, and ask the Commission to consider making a policy decision regarding how such rentals should be managed.
XV.C. Public Services Report
– Director Mike Baker will provide a brief report, and request the Commission to consider demolition quotes for the DPW demo at 606 Clark, the Victory Park expansion demo at 906 Victory, and the Old Feed Mill demo at 190/111 Railroad.
– Demolition Quotes one location.pdf (0.12 MB)
XV.D. Treasurers Report
– City Treasurer Stephanie Powers will provide a brief update.
– CM HCU.pdf (0.50 MB)
– CM TCF.pdf (0.50 MB)
– Interest.pdf (0.51 MB)
– QTRLY Investment Recon.pdf (0.60 MB)
XV.E. Clerk Report
– City Clerk Kalla Langston will provide an update on upcoming Elections, including recent news regarding the new redistricting maps.
– Clerk Report 2-14.pdf (0.25 MB)
XV.F. Board Appointments
– Consider appointments to One Buchanan Board for Meg Paulette, Monroe Lemay, and Sonia Rodriguez, each of whom was recommended for approval during the January 2022 One Buchanan Meeting.
XVI. Unfinished Business
XVII. New Business
XVII.A. Consider a Purchase Request from Dave Capron for his BPD issued firearm as well as his duty leather belt.
– Gun Purchase.pdf (0.01 MB)
XVII.B. Consider Resolution 2022.02/242
– Resolution Establishing an Obsolete Property Rehabilitation (OPRA) District for Rowland Property Group 101-103 Days Ave, Buchanan, Ml 49107
– Resolution Establishment of OPRA District in Buchanan 101-103 Days Ave 01182022.pdf (0.03 MB)
– STATEMENT OF OBSOLESCENCE FROM CITY OF BUCHANAN ASSESSOR – 101 103 Days Ave. Buchanan signed 01142021.docx.pdf (0.20 MB)
XVII.C. Consider Resolution 2022.02/243
– Resolution Establishing an Obsolete Property Rehabilitation (OPRA) District for Claremont Stark LLC, 502 Claremont St., Buchanan, Ml 49107
– Resolution Establishment of OPRA District in Buchanan 502 Claremont St. Buchanan 01182022.pdf (0.03 MB)
– STATEMENT OF OBSOLESCENCE FROM CITY ASSESSOR – 502 Claremont St. Buchanan signed 01142022.docx.pdf (0.18 MB)
XVII.D. Consider appointments to the “Municipal Building Authority”.
– Bond counsel Roger Swets, who is leading the City’s Municipal Building Authority bond project, is recommending that the City Commission make the following appointments to the City’s newly created Municipal Building Authority: appoint 4 members from internal City staff, including (1) City Manager Heather Grace, (2) Community Development Director Rich Murphy, (3) City Clerk Kalla Langston, and (4) City Treasurer Stephanie Powers.
XVII.E. City Credit Card Changes
– Consider the following City credit card changes, as requested by City administration:
– Close the City Credit Card issued to Marcia Johnson (previous bookkeeper).
– Approve a City Credit Card for Courtney Baham (current bookkeeper) with a $2,000.00 limit [same as previous level for Bookkeeper].
– Approve a City Credit Card for Klay Weaver (sexton) with a $2,000.00 limit.
XVII.F. Misconduct, Harassment and Discrimination Policy
– Draft Misconduct Harassment and Discrimination Po.pdf (0.11 MB)
XVII.G. Removal of Dan Vigansky from City Boards
– Consider the removal of Dan Vigansky from all City Boards for alleged misfeasance related to his disruptive behavior during a January 12, 2022, BARB meeting, which negatively affected the City’s ability to conduct its business.
(informational only, formal board action is not necessary for these items, unless so desired)
XVIII.A. Michigan Municipal League
– Capital Conference 2022, March 15-16 in Lansing – “Partnerships and Policy: Fueling a Community Revival.” Please let Administrative Secretary Britni Wall know if you would like to attend.
XIX. Public Comment
Non-Agenda Items Only (3-minute limit)
XX. Executive Comments
XX.A. City Manager Comments
XX.B. Commissioner Comments
XX.C. Mayor Comments
You may view this complete Agenda for this meeting February 14, 2022 here.
You may view the video of this meeting on YouTube here.
You may view all completed City Commission Meeting Minutes on the City of Buchanan Website.