Elkhart ArtWalk Goes “Around the World”
Elkhart, IN – Submitted by Stephanie Krol
Global theme for event happenings throughout Downtown Elkhart on July 28th.
ArtWalk, a free, self-guided, public event in Downtown Elkhart, with this month’s theme of “Around the World” will be held Thursday, July 28th from 5-8 p.m. In July, Premier Arts is hosting a multicultural celebration highlighting our vibrant and colorful community at this month’s ArtWalk! Come to Downtown Elkhart to enjoy art, food, and music from across the globe.
Civic Plaza will host a Well Crafted market that will include artisans and performers. The Elkhart Education Foundation sponsors the children’s activity table along with The Art Depot’s free monthly craft. In addition, there will be informative booths from our nonprofit partners including event sponsor Radio Horizonte 104.23 FM that will broadcast from Civic Plaza, Teach Elkhart County, Minority Health Coalition, the Elkhart Health Department, City of Elkhart Parks & Recreation, and Premier Arts.
Every month, families are encouraged to submit their children’s artwork at the Elkhart Public Library Downtown from 3-5 p.m. prior to ArtWalk. The artwork will be matted and displayed for all to enjoy!
The Lerner on The Lawn series, presented by Friends of The Lerner and the Rex & Alice A. Martin Foundation partners with ArtWalk in Downtown Elkhart for a live outdoor music concert series. The FREE concerts will be held on The Central Park Green starting at 6 p.m. in conjunction with Elkhart ArtWalk. No tickets are required. Bring a lawn chair or a blanket and enjoy the evening under the stars. In addition, Vanilla Bean Creamery, Five Star Bar, and Dutch Kernel will be at the event along with specialty food trucks.
This month’s Lerner on the Lawn performance is Lalo Cura. A Latin-Soul Fusion band, Lalo Cura has developed a unique sound that stems from its powerful rhythm section, Santana-inspired guitar solos, culturally progressive lyrics, and synchronized guitar and horn lines. Although Lalo Cura sings primarily in Spanish, the language has not been a barrier for the band to connect with its diverse audience. From love to social issues, Lalo Cura describes experiences lived by many in the US, Latin America, and throughout the world.
Lalo Cura has shared the stage with various national acts, including Los Lonely Boys, The Main Squeeze, and Kansas Bible Company. In 2015, Lalo Cura was featured on Alt. Latino, an NPR program for Latin alternative & rock music. Chosen among thousands of songs submitted to the contest, Lalo Cura was one of the program’s favorite Latin music submissions to NPR’s Tiny Desk Concert Contest.
The Tutu School is providing dancers from their company, the Aurinko Ballet. They will be performing dances from around the world. Dances are inspired by Spain, Turkey, India, Africa, China, and more! They are performing international ballet numbers between five and six on the plaza.
“July ArtWalk will have something for everyone: dance, music, and visual artists sharing their work all with an international flair!” said Ashley Molyneaux, Premier Arts.
Downtown Elkhart merchants and restaurants will have ArtWalk specials that include:
- Stash Boutique – 118 S. Main St: 5% off your purchase and wet your whistle with some vino.
- The Awakening Realm – 130 S. Main: Enter a raffle to win a free 2-piece canvas painting as well as a free month’s membership, a free private yoga session, and a free reiki session! Stop by for a tarot card reading and other holistic vendors!
- Servant’s Heart Community Church – 204 S. Main St: Kids’ craft and the SHCC house band will play. Fundraising items will be for sale.
- The Twisted String – 203 S. Main St: Bob Lichty will be playing guitar and singing, and Kimberley Hawk Lichty will be bringing some of her art.
- Juxtapose — 208 S. Main Street: Featuring the artist Jacqueline Martinez – Photography
- The Vine – 214 S. Main St: Two Vines Wines (Cabernet, Merlot, Chardonnay, Reisling) $5/glass, $14/bottle
- DAJ Pyramid Show – 224 S. Main St. (Upper Floor): Exhibiting music & variety entertainment from the performers of the DAJ Network
- Midwest Museum of American Art – 429 S. Main St: Open for FREE to the public.
- The Corner Bar – Hotel Elkhart – 502 S. Main St: We will be giving away $5 bounce-back vouchers to every guest who dines at The Corner Bar during ArtWalk hours! We’ll also be featuring drink specials inspired by famous paintings!
- Relish Cafe – Hotel Elkhart – 504 S. Main St: We’ll be giving away $5 bounce-back vouchers to every guest who dines at Relish Café during ArtWalk hours! We’re also hosting Family Board Game Night!
- Redefine Aesthetics — 122 W. Lexington Ave: Mari Macrame will pop in as our artist and Redefine Aesthetics has 10% off Jewelry.
- Elkhart Public Library – 300 S. 2nd St: Check out the vast array of art created by local students of all ages!
ArtWalk would not be possible without our sponsors including the City of Elkhart, Premier Arts, Community Foundation of Elkhart County, Elkhart Education Foundation, The Lerner Theatre, Elkhart County Convention & Visitors Bureau, and Radio Horizonte 104.23 FM.
About Elkhart ArtWalk: Elkhart ArtWalk is a celebration of all-things art. The last Thursday of each month, April to October from 5 to 8 p.m., local artists and vendors are stationed at the Civic Plaza. For more information, please visit ElkhartArtWalk.com.
This event is powered by Premier Arts, a non-profit organization invested in bringing arts to downtown Elkhart. Premier Arts inspires the imagination and develops the creative spirit of our community. Its focus is on youth, family and lifelong learning. Premier Arts, the resident theatre of The Lerner Theatre, is composed of professional staff guided by engaged community leaders serving as the board of Directors. For more information, please visit PremierArts.org.