August Events at Buchanan Area Senior Center
Shared with permission from Buchanan Area Senior Center monthly newsletter
SENIOR PICNIC – Hollywood Movies: You Are the Star!
Wednesday, August 10
Doors open at 11:30 am / Event begins at 12:00 pm
Free but Ticket is Required!!!
All other BASC programs are canceled for the day.
You are invited to attend the Event of the Year: Hollywood Style, and You are the Star!
– Stop by the BASC beginning in August to pick up your free ticket.
– Space is limited and you must be 60+ years old to attend. If you have a ticket and are unable to attend, please let us know in advance, as we anticipate a waiting list.
– Bring your appetite! Burgers, brats, salads and desserts will be provided. Then clear off your plates and play bingo! Listen for your name to be called for door prizes!
BALLROOM DANCING CLASSES
Mondays; August 15, 22, & 29; 7-8pm
Learn How to Ballroom Dance at the BASC!
Carolynn and Vlad of Arts Alive will be at the BASC to teach you basic ballroom dancing. On the third week we will have a ‘Galla” dance night and you can dance away!
Fee is $15 per person or $30 per couple for all three classes.
Fee remains the same if you are unable to attend a class. Full payment is due by Tuesday, August 9. Call 695-7119 to reserve your space on the dance floor.
Walk Day along a portion of McCoy’s Creek Trail in Buchanan
Tuesday, August 16
Put on your walking shoes and join us for a walk along a portion of McCoy’s Creek Trail in Buchanan. We will begin our walk at The Common in front of the Amphitheatre and will travel south.
Please call 695-7119 to register.
When you register please let us know if:
- You are meeting at the BASC at 9:00 am and
will be riding in the van or following the van.
- You are meeting at the Commons in front of the
Amphitheatre at 9:15 am.
- After our walk we will stop by Gary Z’s to pick
up sandwiches and then back to the BASC to eat
lunch. Please indicate if you are or are not going
to order from Gary Z’s. Diana will contact you
about pre-ordering your lunch.
Funeral Arrangements & More Seminar
Thursday, August 18, 1:00-3:45pm
Registration is required.
Please call 695-7119 to reserve your seat.
No one really likes talking to a family member about their funeral or what is involved. However, the importance of talking about one’s wishes in planning a funeral helps relieves some of the future stress having to hurriedly make arrangements.
At the BASC, we want to help make those conversations easier for you and your family. That is why we are offering the seminar Funeral
Arrangements & More.
- Swem Chapel—Starks Family Funeral Home will talk about pre-planning a funeral, what documents to have in order, finances and property, and funeral related details.
- Halbritter—Wickens Funeral Services will talk about what to consider when deciding what kind of service is wanted, along with sharing information on burial and cremation services.
- Brown Funeral Home will share the program “Stepping Stones”, what comes after the funeral of a loved one, the after care, such as finalizing estates, and more.
How to Recognize a Stroke
Thursday, August 25, at 1:00pm
The faster people get treatment for a stoke, the less brain damage they suffer. Patti of Always Best Care Senior Services will talk about How to Recognize a Stroke.
Learn about the F.A.S.T. Warning signs, Face Drooping, Arm Weakness,
Speech Difficulty, Time to call 911. Learn about other symptoms. Learn how you can help prevent having a stroke. Please join us for this informative program.
Thank you for supporting the Buchanan Area Senior Center!
Read the full BASC Newsletter for August 2022 HERE.
About Buchanan Area Senior Center: Buchanan Area Senior Center provides a complete facility, a friendly and efficient staff, and active volunteers that enhance the quality of life of seniors in our community. We offer programs and services designed to promote physical, social, and mental well-being, including exercise, recreation, and crafts, as well as Senior Nutrition Services, food commodities, and a Senior Community Garden.