Back to School – 2022-2023
by Patricia Robinson
School will begin in about a week for the 1,400 plus Buchanan Community Schools students, and the anticipation is growing. The students’ first day will be Monday, August 29, 2022. Here are a few reminders for a great year:
We use multiple communication methods: instant alerts, phone calls, email, Facebook, and our district website. Please make sure your information is updated by contacting your child’s school. The Buck Bulletin was recently released on our website and Facebook. Much of the pertinent information is included in the bulletin. Hard copies of the bulletin will arrive during the week of August 22nd.
Open House Dates
|Buchanan High School||6:00 p.m. -7:30 p.m.||August 24, 2022|
|Buchanan Middle School||5:00 p.m.-5:45 p.m. (5th grade )5:45 p.m.- 6:30 p.m. (6th & 7th grade)||August 24, 2022|
|Moccasin Elementary School||5:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m.||August 23, 2022|
|Ottawa Elementary School||5:30 p.m-6:30 p.m.||August 23, 2022|
As our school begins we want to reassure parents we are taking the necessary steps to keep our buildings safe. While we wait for school safety’s legislative direction, here are ways to stay safe:
Our school district has an updated safety plan that has been created and reviewed in collaboration with area law enforcement.
Here is some additional general information about our emergency procedures:
- Buchanan Community Schools has a district-level crisis team to support schools
- Schools conduct periodic safety drills to ensure everyone knows their role and procedures during a crisis.
- External doors at our schools and facilities are locked and checked throughout the day.
- Visitors must use the main entrances at our buildings, and visitor lanyards are worn if the visitor is staying
- Security cameras are present at all building entrances, throughout our buildings, and on school buses.
- Buchanan Police Department is applying for a School Resource Officer who will be in the district daily. This officer and additional support from law enforcement will be available to respond quickly as needed.
- Buchanan High School has a tip line for reporting concerns about threats of violence or any issue involving the safety of students. Concerns may be reported anonymously by calling or texting the Herd Hotline at 269-409-1153 or using the OK2SAY tipline (see graphic).
Over the past several years, BCS has assessed and upgraded building entryways, cameras, and communication systems, to increase security at our facilities. We have Social Workers and School Counselors to provide social and emotional support for students.
This summer, school leaders have been busy preparing for the school year. We have some leadership changes and are confident that all of our leaders will continue to advance the district’s mission and vision.
|Brian Pruett, Principal Buchanan High School||Mark Frey, Assistant Principal Buchanan High School||Reid McBeth, Athletic Coordinator/Virtual Academy Director Buchanan High School|
|Shelby Beasley, Principal Buchanan Middle School||Michael Babcock, Principal Moccasin Elementary School||Stacey Denison, Principal Ottawa Elementary School|
We wish everyone a safe and fun start to a new year and Go, Bucks!