Opinion on Proposal 2
Submitted by Kenneth Peterson, MAJ USA (Ret.), Buchanan MI
Voters have an opportunity in this election to put key voting rights directly in the Michigan Constitution. Proposal 2 will enhance the fairness and integrity of our elections and protect the ability of every eligible Michigan voter to be heard, regardless of party. Six hundred and sixty-nine thousand signatures were obtained and submitted to the Bureau of Elections to place Prop 2 on the ballot.
Proposal 2 provides the following specific voting rights:
- Nine days of early in-person voting, which provides additional flexibility and makes the voting process more accessible.
- Voter verification with either photo ID or by signing an affidavit attesting to a registered voter’s identity.
- The right to submit a single application to vote absentee in all elections.
- Requirement that military and overseas ballots be counted if postmarked by Election Day.
- Requirement for placement of state funded drop boxes for every 15,000 voters in a municipality.
- Requirement for state-funded postage for absentee applications and ballots.
- Establishment of a rule that only state and local officials can conduct post-election audits.
- Requirement that canvassing boards certify election results based only on official records of votes cast.
- Permission for public sources and charities to help fund elections, subject to disclosure rules.
I urge everyone to vote “Yes” on Prop 2 (Promote the Vote) in the upcoming election. Let’s make voting easier and fairer!
~ Ken Peterson, MAJ USA (Ret.), Buchanan
*The Buchanan Chronicle wishes to provide a venue for public opinion to be heard. We may edit but only for typos, language, or length; as we desire to present submitted opinions as received.*