One Buchanan Disability & Impairment Forum
- Who: One Buchanan with Buchanan Area Senior Center
- What: Disability & Impairment Forum
- When: Saturday, October 8, 2022 at 2-4pm
The public is invited and encouraged to attend One Buchanan’s Disability and Impairment Forum on Saturday, October 8th, 2022, from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. The Forum will take place both in-person at the Buchanan Area Senior Center, 810 Rynearson Street, Buchanan, Michigan, and via Facebook Live on the One Buchanan Facebook page. In addition, a video recording of the Forum will be available to view afterwards on the One Buchanan YouTube channel, along with past Forums produced by One Buchanan.
The Forum will include presentations by a panel of experts and those living with disabilities who present information on the challenges faced by those with disabilities and impairments and the services and supports available to them. Ruth Writer, One Buchanan President, will open the Forum, and Dr. Harvey Burnett, Andrews University, will moderate the panel. The panelists will present information on their area of expertise followed by a question and answer session and open discussion.
- Cindy Gray, Disability Network of Southwest Michigan, will introduce us to the organization and share what they have to offer to the public.
- Kandice Kolberg, Berrien RESA, will talk to us about her work with the visually impaired.
- Dr. Robert Gross, music composer, graduate of Buchanan High School and former city commissioner, will share his experience working in music therapy and dealing with Autism and individuals on the spectrum.
- Anne Reed, One Buchanan Board member, will share her experience as a stroke survivor.
- Lisa Doll, a member of One Buchanan will share her experience and challenges of living with a prosthetic.
The Disability and Impairment Forum is made possible by the hard work of the Board and volunteers of One Buchanan and financial support from the Berrien Community Foundation, For Good Grant. Forum partners include the Buchanan Area Senior Center, Berrien RESA, City of Buchanan, Buchanan-Galien Lions Club, Disability Network of Southwest Michigan, and DPM Events.
About this Forum’s Partners:
- One Buchanan started in 2016 as a grass roots community organization focused on diversity and inclusion issues and was subsequently adopted by the City of Buchanan as a City Board. One Buchanan’s Vision is to be the catalyst to create an inclusive community that values and celebrates our diversity so together we can thrive. One Buchanan’s Mission is to promote awareness of our rich diversity through education, activities, and programs that strengthen an inclusive community.
- Berrien Community Foundation was established in 1952 by William Vawter and a group of concerned business people, much like the rest of the community foundation movement that started in the Midwest. The Foundation is an innovative means by which concerned citizens can put charitable dollars to work for the benefit of Berrien County residents.
- Buchanan Area Senior Center (BASC) is a community focal point on aging, where area older adults gather for services, programs and activities that reflect their experiences and skills, respond to their diverse needs and interests, enhance their dignity, support their independence and encourage their involvement with this senior community center and the larger community. BASC is a non-profit organization serving older adults in Buchanan and the surrounding areas of Berrien County. The mission of Buchanan Area Senior Center is to promote physical, social, and mental well-being.
- Berrien RESA Mission is optimizing student outcomes through collaboration and transformation. Berrien RESA is one of 56 education service agencies in the State of Michigan serving over 24,000 students in Berrien County. The schools we serve include 15 public school districts, 20 non-public schools and three charter school academies. RESAs are the only educational entities with 100 percent access to every public school to ensure implementation of 6 core services: early childhood, student services, administrative services, teaching and learning, technology services and developing partnerships. Berrien RESA is an autonomous, tax-supported public school district governed by Michigan general school laws.
- Buchanan-Galien Lion’s Club has been serving the community for more than 75 years and is a part of Lion’s Club International. Lions Club International is the world’s largest service club organization with 1.4 million members in 46,000 clubs in 192 countries and geographical areas. Lions are men and women who volunteer their time to humanitarian causes. Founded in 1917, the organization’s motto is “We Serve.”
- Disability Network of Southwest Michigan is the first stop for people with disabilities and their families in Southwest Michigan, the counties of Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Kalamazoo, St. Joseph & Van Buren. Our goal is to help foster a community where people with disabilities are able to participate fully in everyday life with equal opportunities and self-determination. Whether someone has a physical, psychiatric, neurological, or sensory disabilities, we believe they should be able to thrive and grow at home, in the workplace, and in their community.
- DPM Events is a medium size production company providing DJ, Photo Booth, Audio/Visual, Live Sound, and Lighting services for Weddings, Corporate Events, School Events and Live Sound Events. Since 1995 we have been providing the best service, cutting edge event technology, all the while providing the absolute best value to our customers. Our service area covers most of the mid-west. Whether you are looking for a Wedding or Party DJ, Live Sound for bands, Photo Booths, or Corporate Event Audio / Visual services we have you covered!
About One Buchanan: One Buchanan’s Vision is to be the catalyst to create an inclusive community that values and celebrates our diversity so together we can thrive. One Buchanan’s Mission is to promote awareness of our rich diversity through education, activities, and programs that strengthen an inclusive community.