February BAMA Monthly Meeting Recap
Submitted by Pastor Nate Babcock, Buchanan Christian Church
We had a good meeting. We thank Pastor Bill Walters for his hospitality in hosting us at Buchanan First United Methodist Church.
Those present were Bill Walters, Kevin Haislip. Dave Mitchell, Jann Mitchell, Patti Mitchell, Father Leo, Rachel Ernsperber, Rebecka Hoyt, David Habicht, Brendan Shea, Tim Douglass, and Nate Babcock. Lyndon Azcuna also joined for a few minutes by speaker phone (more on that below), and we had a special guest – Nathan Hatcher from Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency.
Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency
- Nathan Hatcher spoke to us about the many services SMCAA offers, including (home) weatherization assistance, food assistance, temporary shelter, home development, and home support. This organization is a valuable resource we can turn to as we encounter people in need of help. For more information visit their website: smcaa.com. You can contact Nathan at email@example.com or by phone at 269-935-9077 ext. 868.
- Redbud Area Ministries. Bill Walters informed us that he has been appointed as president of the RAM Board for 2023. During this year Bill will be training the newly appointed board vice-president to assume the president role in 2024. Bill also shared that RAM provided a large amount of utility assistance in January but, thanks be to God, significant donations were received that more than made this part of their ministry possible.
- Life Plan. Lyndon called in from Columbus, Ohio where he and his wife are with their eldest daughter celebrating the birth of their grandchild! Praise God for new life! Lyndon also reminded us about the True Charity seminar which Life Plan is sponsoring at Summit Church in Niles on February 24th. All members of BAMA are invited to attend this seminar for free, as a gift from Life Plan.
- Salvation Army. Tim informed us on DHHS had informed them that as of March 1st, anyone that had been receiving extra Food Stamps and other assistance due to Covid, would lose the extra funds and their amounts would be reduced accordingly. This was extremely important to us at the Salvation Army and RAM, but also to all of the group so they would be aware of the increased need this would bring, especially with the inflation of food prices. As had been mentioned during the weatherization presentation, the ‘Home Development’ program listed on their flyer was important for everyone to know it was available to help people locate available housing. Many of the grants we receive have restrictions on what can and cannot be paid (we can pay the first month’s rent but not deposits as an example). There are other agencies, such as Emergency Shelter Services, that help in this area as well, but they also help people actually find locations that are currently available. There was also a discussion on the assistance available for Emergency Housing provided the people have a plan for what they are going to be doing after the short term stay in whatever motel/hotel has been exhausted. I also informed everyone that Ferry Street Resources had funds available specifically for emergency housing.
- BAMA Good Friday Service: Friday, April 7th at Buchanan Nazarene Church at 6:00 pm. Brendan Shea and Dave Mitchell will plan the service.
- BAMA National Day of Prayer: Thursday, May 4th. We need someone to take the leadership of this event.
- BAMA Baccalaureate Service: Sunday, May 21st at 2:00 pm at Buchanan First United Methodist. Speaker still to be determined.
- Faith United Methodist Church All-You-Can Eat Spaghetti Supper on Saturday, February 25th from 4:00 to 6:00 pm.
- Knights of Columbus Fish Fry at St. Anthony Catholic Church on Friday, March 3rd from 4:00 to 7:00 pm (or while supplies last).
- St. Anthony’s Spring Bazaar and Food Drive on Saturday, March 25 from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm.
- Rebecka Hoyt from the Buchanan Chronicle shared a survey with us which the Chronicle is conducting. They would like to know: Would you like a SUBSCRIPTION to get our physical newspaper sent right to you? You can respond to this survey by contacting the Chronicle in one of these ways: www.thebuchananchronicle.com; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: 269-697-9874. Please share this survey with your congregations and ministries!
- Tuesday March 7th at 9:00 am at Faith Victory Fellowship.
Many blessings to all!
*If your church or club would like to highlight your meetings/events, please email us at: email@example.com
About Buchanan Area Ministerial Association: This group is made of different churches in Buchanan. Their page is a great way to stay up to date on different events BAMA is hosting, but more importantly it is a great way to see how God is moving in Buchanan.